* Hualien Tzu Chi Medical Center (First Medical Center in Eastern Taiwan)
The first Tzu Chi General Hospital was inaugurated on August 17, 1986 and persist the life-respect principles, practicing medical care of patient-orientation in the eastern Taiwan. Because of enhanced medical quality and service quantity, Tzu Chi General Hospital has become the institution where people transfer the severely ill patients. In May, 1995, Tzu Chi General Hospital was promoted to be the first medical center in Hualien County.
* Mennonite Christian Hospital (MCH)
The Mennonite Christian Hospital stands in the city of Hualien, Taiwan, bordered on the east by the Pacific Ocean and on the west by the Central Mountain Range.
Over the past half-century, with the rising and setting of the sun, and the ebb and flow of the tide, the staff of MCH, past and present, have striven wholeheartedly to raise the standard of healthcare. Medical care has been merged with evangelism in pursuit of the people's health and dignity through holistic healing.
MCH's Main Purpose
Fulfilling Medical Evangelism: Providing holistic healing and care to those in need just like what Jesus did.
Service in the name of Christ: Actively serve the minority groups and provide necessary care to those in need to fulfill the calling from God.
MCH's Core Values
Peace: To recognize holistic view of life and respect humanity
Mutuality: To serve and love one another
Modesty: To utilize available resources to achieve efficient health care management
A benchmark institution for integrated and holistic services of geriatric and long-term care and community health.
MCH's Core Competency
Community Medical Services
Women and Children Health Services
1948 The Mennonite Overseas Relief Commission of the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) accepted the invitation of Presbyterian missionaries serving in areas inhabited by aborigines in Taiwan. Missionary doctors began performing medical relief work for the aboriginal people. In the early days, there was no medical station or clinic; their work was restricted to mobile clinics.
1949 Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) opens the first medical clinic in Lower Mei-Lum District
1954 The MCH hospital opened to the public with a 35-bed capacity at the present site
1959 The Mennonite Nursing School admits first class of Nursing students.
1963 The Office of Hygiene, a predecessor of the Community Health Department, was created for the promotion of community development, environmental health, and family planning, and the control of infectious diseases.
1964 Cooperated with the Mustard Seed Mission to provide medical services for TB patients
1966 Started a medical internship program
1967 Started a graduate medical education/training program
1968 The fund for the poor and sick was created
1972 The Board of Trustee was formed; Department of Social Work was found.
1973 In order to expand the medical work to more aborigines, the Yuli clinic was established south of Hualien in an effort to improve the community health. Department of Rehabilitation was created.
1975 Dr. Roland Brown retired.
1981 The wheelchair club was started as the first club organized for the support of specific patient groups such as persons with spinal cord injury, child leukemia, and open-heart surgery, and premature babies. Funds for different illnesses were established to aid financially strained patients, and the hospital pioneered in patient support groups. Donations from within and without the country were received for construction of a new outpatient building.
1983 Dialysis service was started and the related support fund was developed.
1987 Installation of first CT Scan in Department of Radiology.
1988 Achieved regional teaching hospital accreditation.
1991 The hospital continued to receive donations for an additional hospital building to accommodate its growth and expansion.
1992 Installation of first MRI in Department of Radiology and Introduction of laparoscopic techniques in abdominal surgery.
1993 The day-care center was opened for senior citizens. Construction work for the new inpatient building began.
1996 Support groups for persons with brain injury and the women in menopause were formed. The first MCH's website was created. Cooperated with the National Health Insurance Bureau on a pilot HMO plan in Sioulin township to take care of the people in resource-limited areas. The Total Quality Management was initiated. Conducted a "Corporate Identification System" program to enhance MCH's public image.
1997 Grand opening ceremony of the new inpatient building was held. In the same year, the Mennonite Social-Welfare Foundation was established for service to seniors and to people with disabilities. Supported Taitung Christian Hospital with management and medical staff. The Life-line system was set up to serve as a communication between the emergency room and the patients who have particular needs. An X-ray truck was employed to provide related services to the people in remote areas.
1998 Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) service begins.
1999 Provided general outpatient services in Yuli Hospital. Hospice ward was set up. Funded by the Department of Health to operate the Hualien Long-Term Care Resources Management Center.
2000 Grand opening of Grace Outpatient Building.
2001 MCH Nursing Home and Post-Delivery Care Center open to public.
2002 Funded by the National Health Insurance Bureau to operate the Integrated Delivery System (IDS) in serving people of Jhuosi township. Initiated the programs of Respiratory Therapy Center (RTC) and Respiratory Care Ward (RCW). Partnered with the Eastern Region Senior Citizens' Home to offer medical services to the home's residents.
2003 Awarded by the Council of Indigenous Peoples for MCH's significant contributions to the indigenous people.
2004 Funded by the National Health Insurance Bureau to start the Integrated Delivery System (IDS) services in Wanrong township, the last aboriginal community in Hualien. A Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) was purchased and put into use. Oncology and Cancer Center and the Long-Term Care Department were founded.
2005 Assisted Feng-bin township achieving World Health Organization (WHO)'s accreditation for the Safest Place to Live in the 92nd district competition.
2006.12 Achieved Excellence in Executive Yuan Ministry of Health’s accreditation for Class II Teaching Regional Hospital.
2007.03 Construction of Mennonite Senior Rehabilitative Living Community (MSRLC) Phase I project begins.
2007.10 Acquisition of the cardiac catheterization laboratory.
* Hualien Hospital, Department of Health, Execusive Yuan
This hospital was founded in 1909 and situated in Hualien City. She belonged to Japanese colonial period Taiwan Governor Office and named “Hualien Port Hospital” which was in charge of the public diseases, medical staff training, medical research and public health.