The consulate was built in 1865 with more than a hundred years of history. It is now the most antique western building preserved in Taiwan, which is listed as the second-class historic spot.
It was the western building designed by a British engineer and built by Chinese craftsmen, and it is the most meaningful ancient building of Chinese modern history with graceful and elegant proportion. Semicircle arches are rhythmically arranged in order with considerably rhyming. At the corner, the circle arch is smaller and the wall pillar is bigger, which has reinforced function in dynamics. It is the Baroque typed building of the Renaissance era. It emphasizes on the stylish regular pattern and its hollow pattern railings were built with excellent bricks. Harmonious sense of beauty is shown at every turn. Among the existing western style buildings in Taiwan, it provides an excellent example of technique and style and that possesses the value of historical architecture study and conservation value. The building brick and mortar used all continue using the traditional method of Fukien and Taiwan. Some parts are even filled with clay and soil, while wooden truss is built with complete western style. It is the building that has double function, administrative and residential function, and its style also lies in between them. It is the portrayal illustration of modern Chinese and Western cultural communication, and also the first formal consulate built by foreigners in Taiwan. The occurrence of consulate opened up the development of western architecture for Taiwan in the future.